Back in my meat eating days I loved crabmeat. My mother grew up on the gulf so we always stocked up when we visited the grandparents. Among my favorites was crab cakes and it was one of the foods I missed when switching to plant based. Well I had a Jackfruit “crab” cake at a vegan restaurant I love and had to create the version I used to make all the time. Stuffing it in an Avocado just seemed like a fun twist.This recipe works just great served as a traditional “Crab” cake if you want to go that route and can be done with or without breadcrumbs to keep it Gluten Free.
Makes 6 larger cakes or stuffed Avocados half’s
Ingredients for the cakes
1 14oz can of young Jackfruit in water
2 Tbs ground flax
4 Tbs water
1/4 cup Vegan mayo
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 stalks celery small diced
1/4 cup small chopped red pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1-2 sheets of nori sushi
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
1 Tbs old bay seasoning
Juice from half a lemon
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs (optional if want GF)
3 medium avocados
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat over to 350
1. Mix flax and water in a small bowl, stirring and then set aside to thicken.
2. Drain liquid off jackfruit and place in a mixing bowl. Using your hands or a spoon break up the chunks of jackfruit to shred it up.
3. Add all ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
4. Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed. Using a spoon scoop out a little of the avocado to give you a little more room for filling. I often cut a little slice off the “bottom” of the Avo half so it doesn’t roll over. Divide the Cake mixture into 6 portions and the fill avo half’s. You can top with bread crumbs if you like a little extra crunch.
5. Place in a baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
I like to serve it with an arugula salad dressed with a little olive oil and lemon, maybe a touch of Nutritional yeast and Roasted Poblano Remoulade.
You can also just serve these like you would regular crabcakes
Here’s is amazon link in case Jackfruit isn’t available in your grocery store. This is for a single can but they but there are other options.