When the weather starts to turn cold I start craving comfort food. I know this has been done a million times but it is still one of my favs and always a hit when I take it somewhere. Because it freezes so well and I’m a single girl I will generally make the whole recipe and then portion out into two meal portions and freeze to thaw and bake when ready.
This recipe as is will serve 8 either made in one baking dish or baked in individual baking dishes.
1.5 c small Broccoli florets
2 c carrots diced
2 Tbs garlic chopped
2 c kale destined and chopped into bite size pieces- I like lucinato or Dino kale for this but use whatever type you prefer.
2 c cooked brown lentils
2 c criminal mushrooms sliced
1.5 c yellow onion chopped
1.5 c fresh or frozen peas
1 Tbs fresh rosemary chopped.
2 tsp fresh thyme chopped
2 c veggie broth
2 Tbs liquid aminos
2 Tbs vegan Worcestershire
2 Tbs olive oil
8 ea red potatoes 2-2.5 inches in size
.5 c rice milk
2 Tbs vegan butter
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. For potatoes to top the dish
Large dice up potatoes and place in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2”. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 min. Set aside to mash up with butter and milk
3. While potatoes are cooking heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms to pan to sauté until golden brown.
4. Add onions, carrots and broccoli and sauté about 5 minutes or carrots and broccoli are starting to get tender.
5. Add garlic and sauté about 2 min.
6. Add lentils, peas, kale, herbs, broth, aminos and Worcestershire. Mix well and cook until broth reduces by about 1/3.
7. While veggies are simmering mash potatoes with mixer or potato masher. Leave as chunky as you like. Add milk, butter and salt and pepper to salt. Mix well but don’t over mix. Set aside.
8. Pour veggies into a baking dish being sure to leave at least 1.5 inches from top edge to top with potatoes.
9. Spread potatoes over the top of veggies evenly and bake for 35-40 minutes and the potatoes start to brown a bit. Remove from over and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
**If you would like a little more protein this will be great with extra beans like Kidney or black beans added to it but as is a serving has about 13 grams so it’s not needed.
Serve on its own or with a side salad