This is a multipart dish but all the parts can be made ahead and in some cases is better when it is. Any and all are great on their own but is seemed like more of a soup and “Sammie” kind of day when I made this. The only thing I would make the same day for sure is the Arepas but I have had them reheated before and they were still pretty tasty. I can’t confirm it I but they would freeze pretty well too. You have a couple options with this recipe. You can serve as shown in the pic or add the jackfruit to the top of the chili when serving and have the arepa and slaw on the side.
I’ve included a link at the bottom for a way to find the jackfruit and arepa flour if you don’t have it in your local market.
For the most part this recipe serves 4 but the chili makes more to freeze and save for later.
I’ll start with the chili recipe… This made about a gallon of chili so there is plenty to freeze for later.
2 Tbs veg oil of choice
1 c diced yellow onion
1/2 c seeded and diced poblano pepper
1/4 c seeded and small diced jalapeño. I recommend wearing gloves when chopping jalapeños just to be safe.
2 c sliced baby Bella mushrooms (crimini)
1 c diced celery
5 each dried ancho chilis
1 14 oz can each of black beans, kidney beans and pinto beans drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can golden hominy or chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
2 14 oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 c tomato paste
4 c vegetable stock or water
3 Tbs cumin
4 Tbs chili powder
2 tbs dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste.
**Soak dried chilis in water over night. Once they are soft remove the seeds and stems and process into a paste in a food processor. You can use some of the soaking liquid if need be to help blend to a paste. Set aside for the chili. This is also a nice staple for the condiment fridge.
1. In a stock pot heat the oil on medium heat. Add in mushrooms and cook until starting to brown.
2. Add in onion, poblano, jalapeño and celery. Cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, ancho chili paste and spices. Cook until tomato starts to caramelized a bit.
4. Add all beans, hominy, fire roasted tomato and veg stock and let simmer at least 30 minutes on low. Finish with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a little fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
For the Jackfruit
1 small can of young jackfruit in brine and lime
2 Tbs BBQ spice mix
3 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs Worcestershire ( I use Gluten free)
1. Drain jackfruit liquid and in a bowl break up the chunks of jackfruit so it looks shredded. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well.
2. In a sauté pan on med low cook the jackfruit until it starts to caramelized or brown. Set aside.
For the Arepas
Makes 8 each so in this case 4 servings
2 c arepa flour ( precooked cornmeal) If in a pinch cornmeal flour (masa harina) will work but it is a bit different.
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs melted vegan butter
2 1/2 c warm water
Now this is where mine is a little different…..
1. Using a fork combine the arepa flour and vegan butter. Blend well.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the warm water. Using a wooden spoon gradually incorporate the flour into the water, stirring until there are no dry lumps of flour. Using you hands knead the dough a few times then divid into 8 even pieces.
3. Roll each piece into a ball then flatten to about 1/3 inch think.
4. In a large sauté pan heat 1 Tbs of the oil over medium heat. Add 4 arepas and cover to cook until golden brown.about 5-6 minutes. Uncover and turn over to brown uncovered off the other side, about another 5-6 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and repeat the process with the remaining arepas. For this particular recipe I don’t split the arepas and fill as is traditional but use two to create more of a sandwich.
For the jicama slaw
2 cups julienned peeled jicama
1 c julienned red bell pepper
1/2 c rough chopped cilantro
Juice of 1-2 limes or about 2 Tbs
Salt to taste.
Combine all ingredients into a bowl, mix well.
To assemble place one arepa on the plate, place 1/4 cup of BBQ jackfruit on top of arepa. Top with jicama slaw and second arepa. Serve with a side cup of veggie chili.